The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Equinox

Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Custom Title : Ness + Awesomeness = Nessness
    User Points : 732

Equinox Empty Equinox

Post by Nessness Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:59 pm

Equinox

Equinox Equinox%20(U)

I haven't done a Video Game Peek in a while, since Startropics and Mystical Ninja. Let's do another one! Equinox is fairly unknown like these two. Well, I've been mentioning this game a lot on TNFS.

Myself wrote:I usually name myself Equinox, based after the SNES game of the same name.

Myself wrote:Equinox, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Earthbound are the games that I think has perfect soundtrack.

Myself wrote:Equinox is one my favorite SNES games.

In this TNT, I'm going to talk about Equinox, which is one of my favorite Super Nintendo games. I think most of you don't really know about this game, so let's take a peek at this game.

Equinox 2669983-equinoxsnesus

Equinox
    Developed by Software Creations, Published by Sony Imagesoft
    1994, SNES

Day 1

Let me introduce the main character first.

Equinox Equinox_game
    The guy who is standing right here is Glendaal, the main character of this game. No, he is not from the Middle East, he just dresses up like this way. Since this game doesn't have a real story, he is pretty much a silent hero. His mission is to defeat the evil magician Sonia, who kidnapped his father, Shadax. Let's see how you can help his adventure by playing this game.

Equinox 62708-equinox-snes-screenshot-unable-to-jump-this-gap-our-hero-wishes
    The main objective of this game is to travel through the dungeons, get twelve tokens located inside the dungeon, and then head to the boss room and fight the boss. At this point, you might think like "What is this? Another Zelda Clone?", but Equinox has its special factors that make it different from the other dungeon exploring games.

Equinox 2hn01nq
    1. Its Perspective. You don't see this kind of perspective really well on video games, right? Actually, because of this, the controls take some time to get used to. Pressing Left heads to Left Up, Pressing Down heads to Left Down, and so on. However, if you get used to these tricky controls, you will actually have a lot of fun with the new controls.

Equinox Equinox
    2. The very good use of Trial and Error, which makes you think. This will take a long time to explain. Some of you might think "Wait a second. How can be a Trial and Error used in a good way?". But Trial and Error in Equinox is different. Equinox is actually a pretty tough game. Enemy placements can make you hard to avoid stuff, and the boss pattern is pretty erratic. And what's more, you will die in one hit.

You might ask for 'What is the life bar for, then?' That's actually like the extra lives in platformer games. If you die, you will start again at the room where you died. Anyways, you'll first have to analyze the enemies' location, the boss's pattern, and that kind of stuff when you first get into the room. Then, once you analyzed their patterns, you will have to make use of it when avoiding the enemies and defying the bosses. I like how some 'thinking' was required on a normal dungeon crawling game. You won't get this on other games, where you don't die after one hit.

Equinox Equinox-screenshot-001
    Getting to fully analyze the room might take some time, so you must not be afraid of dying, really. Once you died in the room you had problems with, you probably encountered what you did wrong at the part. Learning that, you can think of a plan to avoid those obstacles, and do it right the second time. And there are quite a lot of healing items in those dungeons, so just don't use all of your lives.

And so, I've talked about gameplay of Equinox which makes it special compared to others. On Day 2, I am going to talk about the setting of this game, like the overall feeling of the dungeons and the music. Anyways, goodbye!

Last edited by Nessness on Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:01 am; edited 3 times in total
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Equinox Empty Re: Equinox

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:41 pm

Seems like an interesting game, I've actually never heard of it until now! (although I'm sure I read your posts about it before and just didn't think about them, lol)
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:21 am

A SNES title huh? I'll try it out on my SNES emulator & see what I think of it. Seems interesting. :3
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:44 pm

It seems like a cool game and I guess the sales where not good if a second game was never made sadly.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:12 am

Day 2

Let's continue my Equinox Talk! Today, I will talk about the music of this game which makes this game very captivating.

Equinox 62708-equinox-snes-screenshot-unable-to-jump-this-gap-our-hero-wishes
    Equinox actually has a darker vibe than the other dungeon crawling games. It is probably because the stunning graphics (the floors, the tiles, etc) are pretty much based after the real medieval dungeons. Also, the fact that the graphic designers used shadows on the top and the bottom at the screen helps this.

But the best thing is the music. You know what? This is the game with the best music. It even beats Earthbound's music. Take a listen.

Equinox's music is very atmospheric, and it suits the perfect feeling when you go inside a dungeon. First of all the quality of the music itself is great, using the full power of the SNES. There are variety of sounds which right fit in to the soundtrack- like the water drops, the fire sounds, and much more.

A single music is also long enough, that it won't really get repetitive and I give kudos to the composers for making music this long. And in some dungeons, the music stops along the way, and it goes mute for a long time, and then suddenly starts again, which really helps the dark feeling of the game. It is so great that I could release it as an album and sell it on stores. It would sell better than Justin Bieber's music so why not?

And finally, the Boss Music of this game is probably the best music in the entire video gaming world. It used special instruments, a wonderful melody, and combined them to make an absolute art of music. It fits the boss fights so well! The fact that it goes faster and faster along how the boss is beaten also makes this music better.

Though Equinox is great, it is a very hard game. The 'thinking' trial and error part and the new perspective gets some time to get used to, and the dungeons are much complex than the ones on Zelda and the other games. While beating the worlds one by one would give you a lot of satisfaction, I would only recommend it for gaming experts. Try playing this if you get bored with Zelda or other dungeon crawling games, and want some new fun.

I guess the sales where not good if a second game was never made sadly.

One of the viewers said this, and when there's not a sequel, there was a prequel to this game, actually! On Day 3, we will take a peek at this game's prequel. (I won't reveal the name yet.) Anyways, goodbye!
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:01 pm

The music is great and the game being hard is not a big deal since most games on the SNES where like that. I can't wait for day 3 though.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:08 pm

I'll have to listen to the music later then if it's that good. (I don't have the time right now) A lot of SNES music is great though. It'll be interesting to hear about the prequel.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:58 am

Final Day

Equinox Solstice_NES_ScreenShot1
    Now then, let's talk about the prequel of this game, Solstice. I won't explain this as much as Equinox, since obviously Equinox is the main thing for this TNT.

Equinox Solstice_The_Quest_for_the_Staff_of_Demnos_Cover

Solstice
    Developed by Software Creations, Published by CSG Imagesoft
    1990, NES

Equinox Solstice-6
    Let me introduce the main character first. This is Shadax. Yes, he is the person who got kidnapped at Equinox, and he is Glendaal's father. I have no idea how a European look person like Shadax has a Middle East child like Glendaal, but let's excuse this. The plot is simple, a villain called Morbius captured the princess, so Shadax has to get six pieces of the Staff of Demnos to defeat him. Cliche, but it works.

Equinox Solstice_NES_ScreenShot3
    The gameplay is very simmilar to Equinox. The perspective and the controls are same, you still die in one hit, and et cetra. However, there are some differences, making this game much harder than Equinox.

Equinox Solstice-Kastlerock
    1. You only have a one dungeon to go through. While Equinox had eight different dungeons you had to go through one by one, Solstice only has one dungeon to explore, with you having to find the six pieces of the staff to complete the game. However, the dungeon is confusing enough, so you would still spend a lot of time drawing maps and getting lost. And of course, there are no save points unlike Equinox, so you would have to do it in one go.

Equinox Solstice-1
    2. This game is much less helpful on health, and you don't get an attack to use. That farther increases the trial and error factor of the game, since you would have to start over if you didn't plan your moves wisely. Also the fact that you don't get an attack makes making moves even harder, since you would have to do things defensively. Also, 3. There are more trial and error puzzles in this game, so you would have to try everything before passing.

So, consider Solstice as a harder version of Equinox. But that difficulty could be unbearable considering Equinox was already a very hard game. This game won't really give you the fun as Equinox will do, however, I would recommend this game if you are going to play Equinox. Play Solstice first, either beat it or give up if it is too hard, and play Equinox and see how the developers improved the game overall.

Equinox Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2E9aVjjQ3oz2qJ3n4dm6U_XWBrD85jKJDuqSOu07zXPM7aVle
    Well then, thank you for listening my talk about Equinox and Solstice. As I said it before, I would really recommend you to play them if you get tired of other dungeon crawlers, like Zelda, and you'd like to try something new. You won't regret the experience. Well then, Goodbye!

-Talk Over-
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:03 pm

It seems more like can you last the whole game type of thing in a different way.
    equinox
    Baby Yoshi
    Baby Yoshi

Custom Title : isometric game programmer
    User Points : 3
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : EQUINOX - SNES

Equinox Empty Equinox

Post by equinox Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi,

I registered now. Also I really like Equinox.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:55 pm

^ Hey! I hope to see you around.
    equinox
    Baby Yoshi
    Baby Yoshi

Custom Title : isometric game programmer
    User Points : 3
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : EQUINOX - SNES

Post by equinox Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:21 pm

So,
    since I really like the game EQUINOX, a few months ago,

I took a used PC and I started to study the C language to try to remake this beautiful game.

if (you are interested == true && you like the game == true){

}

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:14 pm